Here’s the recipe for my Japanese milk bread. Hope you enjoy it 🙂 Feel free to leave your comments and feedback.
For the starter (Tangzhong)
- Flour: 30 gms
- Milk: 100 gms
- Water: 100 gms
For the dough
- Flour: 487 gms
- Granulated Sugar: 90 gms
- Yeast: 10 gms
- Salt: 6 gms
- Egg: 1 nos
- Milk: 100 – 130 ml
- Soft Butter: 90 gms
For egg wash
- Egg: 1 no
- Milk: 50 ml
For the starter
- Put flour, water and milk in a pan and mix until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Heat the mixture in low heat until it thickens stirring continuously. Set it aside to cool.
- Measure the remaining ingredients for the dough.
- Mix all ingredients and the cooled starter and knead using mixer or by hand.
- Once the dough is smooth and soft transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and let it rise until double its size.
- Knock back the dough and divide into 10-12 pcs and roll them and place it in an oiled pan (7/7 inch square tin).
- Cover the dough and leave to rise again.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for about approx 25-30 minute.
- Remove from pan and let it cool.